Marske United



First Team

Sat 4 Sep 2021 | F.A Cup | Away




Ian Johnston



Despite the heavy score line, the game started scrappy, with neither team looking likely to score, despite a succession of corners for both. The first meaningful attack though led to the deadlock being broken by that man again, Adam Boyes. A fantastic ball over the top from Butterworth from the half-way line found the advancing Boyes. The in-form Marske striker fired his initial effort straight at Andrew Jennison, but the Seaham ‘keeper could only parry back into danger and Boyes made no mistake with the second bite of the cherry. Once the first goal had gone in, The Seasiders completely dominated the game, never really letting Seaham gain control of the ball, or get out of their own half. They were nearly punished again moments afterward when Boyes found himself in behind once again, but this time the GK was equal to it, pulling off a routine save. Jennison was left helpless on 16 minutes though, when Blackford curled one in from the edge of the box with his weaker foot. Butterworth took a short throw in to the goal scorer Blackford. The Marske winger showed some great footwork to shrug off the challenges of Sayer and gave it backward to Smith. Blackford then found a half yard of space, received the ball back, turned and unleashed a beautiful effort from range, leaving Jennison no chance as the ball nestled into the top left-hand corner. The goal glut didn’t stop there though, with a well worked corner routine. Gott swung the corner outward, captain Wheatley rose highest at the back stick and headed across goal into the path of May, whose delicate header left Jennison picking the ball out of the net for the third time in 8 minutes. Jennison, who was undoubtedly Seaham’s player of the game, made two fantastic saves, first to force a corner from Boyes, and the second to get down low at the near post to prevent a goal from the corner. The Seaham ‘keeper put in a great performance overall, despite conceding 6. Marske midfielder Gott, returning from a lengthy lay off due to injury, added his second assist of the game 35 minutes in when his corner round the head of an excellent run by Burgess, whose low header left Jennison helpless once again. A real striker’s header from the Marske centre half, who’s now notched his 3rd of the season. Seaham defended the next attack well when a clearance from Weldon prevented what would’ve been a certain goal. Boyes crossed in low, with Dicicco lurking at the back post, but the Seaham centre half was equal to it, getting rid. The away side’s first meaningful attack was ended by the ever-reliable May after Blackford was taken on by Lennox before May stopped the cross in its tracks. The final attack of the game resulted in a penalty, when Jack Blackford was dragged by Sayer. Craig Gott stepped up and rifled home for his 100th goal in Marske colours. A fantastic achievement for someone who is undoubtedly a club legend.

HT Marske 5-0 Seaham

The second half was a much less entertaining affair, with Marske taking their foot off the gas with victory all but secured. Seaham couldn’t find that step up though and extra level to put some pressure on The Seasiders. Dicicco had the first chance of the half, beating Max Nelson before Jennison made a great save at the near post to push behind for a corner. The resulting corner came to nothing though. Craig Gott’s corners caused issue throughout this game, and Marske nearly scored from another one when Wheatley volleyed narrowly over. Sayer had a huge chance to pull one back for the away side but fluffed his lines and put it wide. A free kick was floated in, and Catterick came but couldn’t get a firm grip on the ball, eventually dropping it nicely for Sayer whose shot hit the side netting. Another goal came from a corner to round out the game. Gott floated one in and a poor clearance fell to May but his volley was well blocked. Unfortunately for Seaham, the rebound fell nicely to Boyes who made no mistake, scoring his 7th FA Cup goal of the season in two games. Substitute Round challenged Jennison from range, the ‘keeper spilled the ball and Round himself followed up, forcing Jennison into an excellent close range save. Both Tymon and Burgess hit the top of the bar in the closing exchanges, Burgess’ from Gott’s excellent corner delivery. Apart from that, the final 20 minutes or so were dull, with the home side just passing the ball around and enjoying the prospect of being in the next round. Another clean sheet, 6 goals and into the hat for the next round.

Marske (5-2-1-2): Catterick, May, Round, Butterworth, Burgess, Wheatley, Smith, Gott, Boyes (B. Clark 82’), Dicicco (Hopson 71’), Blackford (Tymon 70’)
Subs not used: Williams, Watson
Seaham (4-4-2): Jennison, Hailes, Sayer, Patterson, Weldon, Nelson, Robinson (Kerridge 28’), Bott, Lennox, Robinson, Lawson
Subs not used: Charmey, Waite, Smith, Robinson, Patton


Back to Fixtures