First Team



Newcastle Benfield

Tue 14 Sep 2021 | Ebac Northern League Div 1 | Home




Sam Ross



Seaham claim second win of season against Benfield

Seaham Red Star claimed a second league win of the season with a 3-1 win at home to ten-man Newcastle Benfield on Tuesday night.

Sam Walton was sent off for Benfield with just short of quarter of an hour played, and Joe Kerridge put Seaham ahead shortly after.

Paul Brayson pulled Benfield level before the break, but second half goals from Lee Kerr and Adam Lennox meant sure Seaham took the three points.

Upon kick-off, it was Seaham who created the first chance. Tom Lawson was allowed room on the left, and he drove forward before cutting into the penalty area. He got a shot away, but Andrew Grainger was able to save at the near post.

In the ninth minute, Lawson was involved again, and this time, it resulted with the ball finding a way into the net, but it was ruled out for offside. Lawson once again had space on the left, and he drove forward before firing a low ball into the penalty area. It was aimed at their centre forward, but it looked as though it was left to find a way into the far bottom corner. However, the assistant had his flag up, presumably ruling the centre forward offside.

Just before the quarter of an hour mark, Benfield were reduced to 10 men as Sam Walton was sent off for a strong challenge on Danny Sayer.

In the 19th minute, Benfield had a chance which would have been very controversial had it gone in. A deep cross found Brayson in the penalty area and he connected very well with a first time volley. He was comfortably offside, but the assistant referee kept his flag down, and Brayson’s volley was well saved by Andrew Jennison. The save wasn’t enough to prevent a lot of shouts from the main stand directed at the assistant.

Four minutes later, at the other end, Seaham took the lead. The ball was well worked to Kerridge just inside the penalty area on the right side, and the former Easington Colliery man drilled an effort into the far bottom corner.

On the half hour mark, as his player Lewis Scorgie received treatment for an injury which would end his match, Benfield’s manager Stuart Elliott was sent off. It was presumably for something he had said to the referee.

Eleven minutes before the break, Richie Slaughter went close as his powerful 22 yard effort was deflected narrowly over, and the same man went even closer only two minutes later. This time, a cross found Slaughter at the back post, but his volley crashed back off the crossbar.

Having had a good spell, Benfield pulled level in the 39th minute. A simple ball down the right picked out Peter Glen-Ravenhill, and his cross found the unmarked Brayson whose controlled volley pulled Benfield level.

Following the break, Seaham went close in the 49th minute. Kerridge’s pinpoint cross picked out Sayer, and his header was just wide of the bottom corner.

Cameron Gascoigne forced a save from Jennison in Benfield’s first chance of the second half, and the visitors had another chance three minutes later as a dangerous free-kick was curled wide.

Benfield ‘keeper Grainger pulled off a good save to deny Lawson in the 58th minute, but only a minute later, Seaham found themselves back ahead. Kerr picked up the ball out wide, and he sent a cross into the area. It turned into a shot, and Grainger seemed confident it was his by shouting “KEEPERS”, but it sailed over him and dropped into the far corner.

Halfway through the second half, as Benfield looked for another response, Gascoigne forced Jennison into a save.

Looking for his second the evening, Kerridge tested his luck with a volley in the 72nd minute, but Grainger was equal to it.

Little happened in the next 10 minutes, with Seaham managing the game well against their ten-man opposition.

Lennox went close when his shot trickled wide after being played in nine minutes from time, before Brayson’s shot at the other end was crucially blocked.

Mark Robinson went close for Seaham in the 87th minute, and seconds later, the hosts put the game to bed with a third goal. The ball was worked into Lennox just inside the penalty area, and his low shot to the ‘keepers right found the bottom corner.

Two goals ahead with a man advantage, Seaham were comfortable, and they saw the game out well to claim only a second league win of the season.

Full-time: Seaham Red Star 3-1 Newcastle Benfield

Next up for me is maybe a game tomorrow.

Seaham Red Star: Jennison, Hailes, Sayer (Waite, 75′), Kerr, Patterson, Nelson, Lawson, Bott, Lennox (Charmey, 90′), Mark Robinson, Kerridge (James Robinson, 90+4′)

Unused sub: Patton

Newcastle Benfield: Grainger, Glen-Ravenhill, Renney, Slaughter, Scorgie (Gordon, 32′), Turnbull, Gascoigne (Leonard, 76′), Haley, Brayson, Walker, Walton

Unused subs: Thompson, Stuart, Robson

Connor Lamb


Back to Fixtures