First Team



Redcar Athletic

Tue 12 Oct 2021 | Ebac Northern League Div 1 | Home


Independent Utility Advice Arena




Helen Conley



Danny Sayer’s headed double leads the way as Red Star take comfortable three points in a feisty game.

Multiple yellow cards and a controversial decision that saw Red Star manager Mark Collingwood be sent off, proved both team’s desire to win the match.

However, a rampant second half from The Star saw winger Danny Sayer scoring two identical headed goals from two perfect Mark Robinson corners before substitute Tom Lawson scoring a cheeky goal after rounding the keeper.


Red star definitely started the brighter with chances falling to both Adam Lennox and captain, Thomas Bott, on the edge of the box but both attempts sailing over the bar.

Lennox remained a thorn in the side of Redcar’s defence in the 18th minute, this time beating his man multiple times before surging into the area and playing the ball to Robinson, who’s effort goes just wide.

Redcar Athletic did have a chance of their own when a cross landed at the back post where winger, Williams, saw his header float just over the target.

It was after this where the match started to have a real edge to it.

A scuffle between Redcar forward, Wainwright, and Red Star midfielder, Heywood, saw both receive yellow cards after 37 minutes.

This then continued into the 38th minute when it appeared that Redcar defender, Krakue, made connection with the back of Lennox’s head and only found himself receive a yellow card, perhaps lucky to stay on the pitch.

In the midst of all of this, Red Star manager Mark Collingwood, who was down as Physio for the home side, was remarkably sent off for entering the pitch.

After some explanation, Collingwood remained on the sideline for the remainder of the half before referee Helen Colney changed her mind and re-sent off the manager, a very strange decision.


The pattern of play continued into the second half with chances falling to Heywood on the edge of the box but failing to hit the target.

The pressure of Red Star’s attacks finally took it’s toll on the Redcar defence in the 62nd minute as Danny Sayer headed the ball home fantastically after a great corner from Robinson.

15 minutes later, the exact same happened and Sayer nodded the home side two goals clear of Redcar Athletic, and the away side’s goalkeeper being booked for his angry reaction to the goal.

Hero, Sayer, was subbed off after 80 minutes for youngster Tom Lawson.

Lawson only took two minutes to put his stamp on the game following a mistake from Redcar captain, Woodhouse, who misplaced a pass along Athletic’s back line. Lawson went through on goal before rounding the keeper, and also skipping past a recovering Woodhouse before celebrating and slotting the ball home.

You will struggle to see a cheekier goal than this one as Lawson grabs his second goal in consecutive appearances for the Star.

Red Star comfortably saw out the match to keep their clean sheet, with the away side not having a single shot on target in the 90 minutes.

Red Star will now travel away to Northallerton Town on Saturday and will look to make it three wins on the bounce.

Red Star Team : Jennison, Baggs, Hailes, Heywood, Nelson, Patterson, Hodgson (Kerridge), Bott, Lennox (Anderson), Robinson M, Sayer (Lawson).


Back to Fixtures