Seaham suffer loss away to West Auckland

09 Mar 2019 in Match Reports

Seaham suffer loss away to West Auckland Seaham suffer loss away to West Auckland

By Andrew McDonnell

An injury-struck Seaham Red Star were condemned to a 2-0 defeat against West Auckland Town at The Wanted Stadium.


Denver Morris broke the deadlock on 35 minutes when he went on a driving run, from the right, before firing into the top corner.


West Auckland doubled their advantage just after the hour mark when Steven Snaith lashed into the roof of the net.


Seaham were forced to put substitute ‘keeper Matthew Wilkinson outfield when Anth Myers went down with an injury late in the game.


There were four injuries on the day for the Star, but they battled to the end and the scoreline stayed at two-nil.


Manager Mark Collingwood made one change to the team that beat North Shields last weekend as youngster Nathan Greenwood replaced the injured Michael Chilton.


Full-back Paul Weldon was forced off though injury on five minutes. After a quiet start to the game, West had the first opening on 15 minutes when Tom Portas fired just wide of the post.


Neither side managed to get a foothold in the game for the 35 minutes, however, a moment of brilliance handed the hosts the lead.


Morris handed the ball inside to Snaith before receiving the ball straight back. The full-back drove towards goal and, after Seaham failed to close him down, he fired across and into the top corner.


The Star had their first shot of the game, four minutes before the break. Lee Kerr’s effort, from 35-yards out, failed to trouble the ‘keeper though.


On the stroke of half-time, former Newcastle United youngster Mackenzie Heaney went close with an effort from the edge of the area.


Collingwood’s men started on the front foot in the second-half and went close just two minutes after the restart.


David Robinson went on a mazing run before sending Nathan Greenwood through down the right, but the youngster broke into the box and fired wide.


Chris Bannon was called into action on 56 minutes when he pushed Snaith’s low effort around the post.


Four minutes later, the Seaham shot-stopper was on hand to deny West Auckland again, making a great save, despite the ball swirving away at the last moment.


The hosts doubled their advantage on 63 minutes as the ball was played in to Snaith, from the right, and the West playmaker rifled home, into the roof of the net.


Robinson went close for the visitors on 70 minutes, however, it was the home side that went on to dominate the final stages of the game.


Young ‘keeper Wilkinson was brought on late in the game and played almost 15 minutes after Myers was the fourth player to suffer an injury.


Bannon made denied Amar Purewal before the likes of Adam Burnicle and Anthony Bell - on three occasions - narrowly missed the target.


Seaham will be looking to put the defeat behind them as they play host to Penrith in 10 days time.


West Auckland Town: Bland, Morris, Mitchell, Cobain, Hunter, Portas, Hegerty, Dodds, Purewal (Burnicle, 74), Snaith (Dowson, 74), Heaney (Bell, 70)


Sub Not Used: Coulson


Seaham Red Star: Bannon, Gillesphey, Weldon (Clarke, 5), Joe Hailes, Myers (Wilkinson, 78), Gardiner, Taylor (Dan Hailes, 57), Kerr, Wilson, Robinson, Greenwood


Subs Not Used: Johnston, Chilton


Goals: 1-0, 35 min, Morris; 2-0, 63 min, Snaith


Referee: James Bancroft


Assistants: Paul Mosley and Tom Ross


Attendance: 167


Older Newer