Seaham Red Star 1-2 North Shields: Patton’s first-half double sees off The Star

27 Jan 2020 in News

Mark Collingwood’s side fell to a second consecutive league defeat on Saturday afternoon at the hands of Marc Nash’s men, with Dan Wilson’s 56th minute strike only proving a consolation after Kyle Patton’s first-half brace for the visitors.

It was a tightly fought contest at the Ferguson Motor Repairs Stadium, but a fast start from The Robins and Patton was what proved the difference.


Kyle patton opened the scoring in the sixth minute when he finished Cameron Cunningham’s delivery from close-range.


Paul Gardiner’s powerful effort 10 minutes later was deflected wide as the hosts looked to gain a foothold, but the fifth-placed team remained on the front-foot.


Bannon did well to intercept a 21st minute Callum Smith cross that was bound for the goalscorer and, while Jaden Cahill-Taylor’s cross wasn’t far from floating into the top-corner on the half-hour mark, Patton’s second arrived swiftly enough.


He reacted impressively sharply to Nick Cassidy’s deflected free-kick in the 32nd minute and duly converted the clear chance his alertness earned.


The Star almost responded immediately when Richard Coulson fired Wilson’s centre over from point-blank range, while David Robinson’s low shot was kept out by Greg Purvis a few minutes later.


Cassidy also sent a free-kick narrowly over in between, but the scoreline would remain at 0-2 come the break.


The visitors again began the quicker following the restart, with Patton sent clear a short while after but he saw his shot deflected behind.


Come the 56th minute, though, Seaham earned a route back into the game when Wilson cleverly lifted the ball over Purvis and in from the edge of the area.


Looking to maximise their newly found momentum, The Star kept coming, with Paul Weldon’s sweetly struck effort almost finding the top-corner in the 61st minute after Mark Waite’s blocked free-kick fell to him.


Smith forced Chris Bannon into a good save before a Cassidy volley narrowly missed the target in the moments that followed though, as Nash’s men bounced back.


Substitute Connor Campbell came close too, when he nodded a 66th minute Cassidy free-kick narrowly wide.


Wilson nearly found the net with a header himself two minutes later but Purvis produced an impressive stop at his near-post to keep his side in-front.


Replacement Morgan Dart was introduced for Seaham and worked the goalkeeper with an attempt similar to Wilson’s goal as the minutes ticked down and the hosts kept pushing. 


But The Robins would do enough to hold on and they almost regained their two-goal cushion in the closing stages when another substitute, Scott McCarthy, volley a Cassidy cross over.


Older Newer