Referees decision changes game

22 Aug 2019 in News

Referees decision changes game Referees decision changes game

An off day for Seaham Red Star as they fell away against opponents Newcastle Benfield following a shocking decision by referee Mr Bancroft, that saw the award of a penalty to the home side and the dismissal of Seaham’s keeper Chris Bannon in the 51st minute.

The Star were missing Scott Young and Paul Weldon, Anth Myers and Mattie Tumility replacing them, Manager Collingwood also selected Michael Chilton, dropping Morgan Dart to the bench.

Seaham started brightly and deservedly opened the scoring in the 15th minute. David Robinson latched onto a through ball from Liam Gillesphey and lifted it over keeper Grainger from 2o yards. 

The Star continued to dominate and Gillesphey nearly added a second goal on 25 miutes when his header beat the keeper but was headed of the line by the Benfield full back.

In a rare attack by the visitors Brayson looked to have equalised when his close range effort was heading for goal before Myers deflected it away for a corner. Giroud’s kick wasn’t cleared and when the ball came back into the area Benfield skipper Turnbull headed home in the 40th minute.   

Red Star were forced into a change at the start of the second period, the injured McRoberts was replaced by Morgan Dart. The young winger was quickly into the game and following a strong run into the box, he picked out Chilton, but his shot went narrowly wide.

A close game was soon spoilt by a very poor decision by Mr Bancroft. Seaham’s keeper Bannon had a clearance charged down by Brayson, both players chased the loose ball and fell in a heap as their legs tangled. Referee Mr Bancroft awarded a penalty to Benfield and dismissed Bannon in the 51st minute

Aaron Steavens replaced Matthew Wade and his first task was to retrieve the ball from the net as Brayson clinically scored from the spot.

The 10 men of Seaham struggled to get their game back on track and Benfield’s Giroud took advantage by scoring the home sides 3rd goal with a drive from 20 yards.

Richie Coulson was booked in the 59th minute, receiving a yellow card for a mistimed challenge.

Ravenhill added a fourth in the 71st minute, following good work from Brayson. Chances kept coming for the hosts and substitute Dennis Knight added two more goals in the 78th and 89th minutes to make it 6-1 to Benfield.

Seaham Red Star : Bannon, Tumilty (Richardson), Myers, Gillesphey, Henderson, Wade (Steavens), McRoberts (Dart), Chilton, Wilson, Robinson, Coulson

Man of the Match: David Robinson


Older Newer