Red Star held by Shildon’s 98th minute equaliser

29 Sep 2019 in News

Red Star held by Shildon’s 98th minute equaliser Red Star held by Shildon’s 98th minute equaliser

A tremendous rear guard action looked like earning Seaham 3 points at Shildon following Dan Wilson’s 58th minute goal. But a 99th minute equaliser with the last kick off the game robbed the Star of 3 points. After the goal and before the restart, both of the Seaham management team received red cards for confronting the referee about the added time.

Due to injuries and unavailability Manager Mark Collingwood made 4 changes to the side that had won in midweek. Matthew Wade, Joe Hailes, Chris Bannon and Michael Chilton came into the starting line up.

Shildon pressed from the start, Seaham’s keeper Bannon was in the action early saving from Atkinson and Craggs. The Star’s first attack saw a cross from Coulson go narrowly wide. The hosts had a good chance on 20 minutes when a tackle from Myers on Atkinson gave away a free kick in a dangerous position, Craggs placed his kick just over the bar.

Seaham were appealing for a penalty when Chilton was clearly caught in the face by Heywood’s arm but referee Mr Dean waived away the appeals. Shildon almost took the lead before the break when Greulch-Smith met Lavaery’s cross and put his effort into the side netting.

The second period started with waves of attacks from the home side, Lavery had close range effort saved by Bannon before a shot by Craggs rebounded back into play of the post. The Star, after defending well broke away to open the scoring. A long ball out of defence by Hailes caused confusion between Newbrook and Curl and Dan Wilson pinched the ball and walked in into an empty net in the 58th minute.

Shildon made 3 substitutions and continued to press but a combination of great defending and terrible finishing kept the score at 1-0 to Seaham. The rear guard action of Gillesphey, Weldon, Hailes and Tumilty was proving difficult for Shildon to break down. Referee Mr Dean missed a bad challenge on Weldon which on anther day would have been a red card.

The Star looked to have held on for a good win, Mr Dean indicated added time would be 6 minutes, however, he continued to let play flow until the 96th minute when Greulch-Smith latched onto a through ball to drill past Bannon.

The goal brought protests from the Seaham bench which resulted in sending offs for both Collingwood and Johnson.


1. Chris Bannon, 2. Joe Hailes, 5. Anthony Myers,(Matthew Tumilty) 6. Liam Gillesphey (C), 3. Paul Weldon; 7. Paul Gardiner, 4. David Henderson, 8. Matthew Wade, 11. Richard Coulson; 10. Michael Chilton (Jaden Cahill-Taylor), 9. Dan Wilson


12. Jaden Cahill-Taylor, 14. Alex Sakellaropoius, 15. Matthew Tumilty, 16. Josh Winthrop, 17. Aaron Steavens (GK),

Manager: Mark Collingwood


Older Newer