Red Star Edged Out By Ryhope CW

06 Apr 2019 in Match Reports

Red Star Edged Out By Ryhope CW Red Star Edged Out By Ryhope CW

By Andrew McDonnell


Michael Chilton’s brace wasn’t enough for Seaham Red Star as a controversial goal turned out to be decisive for Ryhope CW at the Recreation Ground.


Chilton opened the scoring on 16 minutes with a low strike, into the bottom corner, but the hosts responded and drew level through Jack Devlin.


The hosts’ celebrations were short-lived as Seaham went back ahead, two minutes later, when Chilton pounced on a mistake at the back to slot the ball home.


James Ellis equalised on 37 minutes and scored his second of the game, four minutes later, which came from a corner, where the Ryhope player kicked the ball out of play.


The Star were unable to come back to rescue anything in the second half and travel to Sunderland RCA on Tuesday evening, their final away game of the season.


Manager Mark Collingwood made two changes to the team that beat Stockton Town last weekend with full-back Scott Young and winger Bobby Taylor coming into the starting line-up.


The first opening went Seaham’s way as they were awarded a free-kick, in a dangerous position, after three minutes.


Chilton stepped up, after Taylor was fouled, and forced a good save out of the ‘keeper, while Chris Wallace went close at the other end.


It wasn’t long before the deadlock was broken as Dan Wilson flicked the ball on to Chilton, who took it in his stride before burying it, into the corner of the net.


The hosts were level on 27 minutes when Devlin’s effort deflected up off a Seaham defender, looped over Chris Bannon and in.


The Star produced an excellent response and found themselves back ahead, just a minute-and-a-half later.


A clearance cannoned off Wilson and then a Ryhope player before falling to the feet of Chilton, who tucked the ball home from inside the area.


Ellis went close on 35 minutes before scoring his first of the game, two minutes later. Adam Cocks’ cross came to the back post, where the striker hammered low and into the net.


There was a hugely controversial call, on 41 minutes, Scott Young made a brilliant challenge and the ball came off Devlin and went behind for a goal-kick.


However, the referee awarded a corner, which was taken short to Ellis, who cut inside, past two players, and curled into the top corner.


Seaham went close to equalising, right on the stroke of half-time. Taylor  drove forward before striking inches over the crossbar.


After an end-to-end first-half, it was quite a mellow start to the second period as the hosts exchanged chances before the hour mark.


Ellis curled a free-kick, around the wall, and inches wide of the post on 68 minutes, which had the ‘keeper scrambling across his line.


The Star went in search of a third goal in the closing stages, with Taylor and captain David Robinson going close.


Craig Malley glanced Taylor’s corner on at the near post, but narrowly wide, in stoppage time, but it wasn’t to be for the visitors, who lost their first game in four.


Ryhope CW: Atkinson, Nicholson, Cocks, Riding, Rogers, Trewick, Jon Weirs, Wallace (Hotchkiss, 65), Devlin (Melvin, 87), Matthew Weirs (Bird, 64), Ellis


Subs Not Used: Woods, Ball


Seaham Red Star: Bannon, Scott, Joe Hailes (Dan Hailes, 74), Malley, Myers, Gillesphey, Taylor, Kerr (Clarke, 82), Wilson, Robinson, Chilton


Subs Not Used: Henderson, Wilkinson


Goals: 0-1, 16 min, Chilton; 1-1, 27 min, Devlin; 1-2, 29 min, Chilton; 2-2, 37 min, Ellis; 2-3, 41, Ellis


Older Newer