Chilton Nets Brace as Star Beat Robins

02 Mar 2019 in Match Reports

Chilton Nets Brace as Star Beat Robins Chilton Nets Brace as Star Beat Robins

By Andrew McDonnell


Michael Chilton scored his second brace of the season against North Shields as Seaham Red Star ran out 2-0 winners at the Ferguson Motor Repairs Stadium.


The hosts missed a chance to go ahead on 20 minutes when Dan Wilson, who was fouled by Gary Ormston for the penalty, had his spot-kick saved.


Seaham didn’t have long to wait to go ahead though as Chilton headed home his first goal of the game on 26 minutes.


Chilton doubled his teams lead just 78 seconds after half-time, latching on a long ball over the defence before finding the net.


It could have and, arguably, should have been more, but the Star saw the game through to pick up their fourth win in five games - completing a league-double over the Robins.


Manager Mark Collingwood made one change to the team that lost to Hebburn Town during the week as Chilton came in for the suspended Scott Young.


Seaham were unfortunate not to go ahead inside the first 10 minutes as Wilson and Chilton both missed the target, from inside the area.


The visitors created their first chance on 11 minutes as Sean McRoberts’ cross was guided inches over the bar by Ryan Carr.


After a fairly even start to the game, Seaham started to turn the screw and were awarded a penalty on 20 minutes when Wilson was fouled by Ormston in the penalty area.


However, the striker stepped up, confidently, but saw his penalty saved by ‘keeper Michael Robinson.


The Star weren’t level for long though as they continued in search of an opener, and that came on 26 minutes.


Paul Weldon dinked a pass into the box, Wilson headed the ball on to Chilton, who lifted his header over the ‘keeper and into the net.


Shields’ shot-stopper made a fine save, three minutes later, when Bobby Taylor’s rasping drive, from 25-yards out, was tipped over the bar.


Wilson was denied one-on-one before David Robinson fired wide of the post, just minutes before half-time.


Last weekend, a slow start to the second-half saw Seaham's opponents score two goals and come back level, but Collingwood’s men came out firing this week and doubled their advantage just 78 seconds after half-time..


Joe Hailes’ long ball over the top caught the back line of Shields out. Chilton brought the pass down before prodding past the advancing ‘keeper.


Seaham continued to create chances freely and went close through Taylor, on two occasions, and Paul Gardiner, around the hour mark.


The Star had their head in their hands on 66 minutes when Chilton and Wilson were both denied by a great save and a brave block in the penalty area.


Despite having more of the ball, the Robins failed to cause Seaham many, if any, problems until late in the game.


Chris Bannon, who had virtually nothing to do for 83 minutes, was called into action and made a brilliant save to keep out Gareth Bainbridge.


A special mention has to go to Gardiner, who made his 100th appearance for the Star in the game and Seaham saw the remaining minutes out to complete a league double over Shields.


Seaham Red Star: Bannon, Gillesphey, Weldon, Joe Hailes, Myers, Gardiner, Taylor (Johnston, 72), Kerr, Wilson, Robinson, Chilton (Chilton, 74)


Subs Not Used: Dan Hailes, Clarke, Wilkinson


North Shields: Michael Robinson, Donnison, Summerly, Ormston, Nearney, Hughes, McRoberts (Cunningham, 71), Cooper (Day, 58), Johnston (Bainbridge, 58), Carr, Paul Robinson


Subs Not Used: McDonald, Purvis


Referee: Derrick Wade


Assistants: Thomas Bainbridge and Tim Craig

Attendance: 114


Photo: Chris Chambers/CJC Photo


Older Newer