10 man Star see off Guisborough

26 Aug 2019 in News

10 man Star see off Guisborough 10 man Star see off Guisborough

Despie losing Liam Gillesphey after his 2nd yellow card, the Red Star 10 men turned the game around from losing 1-0 to running out 3-1 winners.

Manager Mark Collingwood was forced to change his team minutes before the game when Anthony Myers pulled up in the pre match warm up, Mattie Tumilty replaced Myers and Josh Winthrop was added to the bench. The Star were also without the injured McRoberts and Chilton.


The Star kicked off in bright sunshine but were soon forced onto the back foot by an unbeaten Guisborough side. Seaham’s Chris Bannon was forced into a diving save following a snap shot from Danny Earl


Seaham attacks were few and far between as Guisborough pressed for the opening goal. Sonni Coleman went close with a far post header that went narrowly wide. In a rare attack from the home side Richie Coulson had a goal bound shot blocked by Mark Robinson.


Just before the interval Bannon produced two good blocks to keep the scores level. Seaham defensively had a good first half and were pleased to go in 0 – 0 at half time.


Guisborough broke the deadlock 4 minutes into the second period, A cross from the left by skipper Mark Robinson found Mason McNeil unmarked beyond the far post. McNeil volleyed the ball past Bannon.


Seaham’s tactics had to change to get back in the game and Collingwood pushed substitute Winthrop into the centre of the field and introduced Morgan Dart onto the left wing. The changes worked as Dart won a corner on the left and Winthrop’s cross picked out Coulson who fired home from 25 yards in the 69th minute.

The Star went down to 10 men when Gillesphey received his second yellow card from Mr Stevens in the 76th minute. The Star continued to press an when David Robinson split the defence with a pass to Dan Wilson, who ran through and drilled the ball past Catterick to give Seaham a 2-1 lead.


The visitors manager made 3 changes to try and get back into the game but apart from a couple of shots from Coleman, Bannon was not forced into any serious action. With 4 minutes to go a rash challenge from Dart gave Guisborough a free kick from the edge of the area. Joe Ferguson’s strike hit the wall and was cleared.


Seaham were manging the game well and made it 3-1 in injury time when Dart fired in a rebound after Catterick saved from Coulson.


A great performance and result from a patched up Red Star squad where every player gave everything against a very good Guisborough team.


Seaham Red Star Bannon, Young, Weldon, Henderson, Tumilty (Winthrop), Gillesphey, Hailes, Wade (Dart), Wilson, Robinson, Coulson.    




Older Newer