Garforth Town



First Team

Sat 10 Oct 2020 | F A Vase | Away




Josh Brayshaw



Seaham’s Joe Hailes hit the winning penalty in the 6 – 5 shootout after Jennison had saved 3 kicks.  


Manager Mark Collingwood welcomed back Nathan Lawrence, Jason Blackburn and Mark Waite from injury for the trip to Garforth Town.


The home side should have been down to 10 men in the opening minute as centre back Sam Denton made a rash challenge on Blackburn, Referee Mr Brayshaw showed the defender a yellow card. Garforth settled into the game quicker and were causing the Seaham defenders a few problems with long punts from the keeper being chased down by strikers James Burgess and Sam Barker. Thomas Bott and Dan Hawkins at the heart of the defence were up for the battle. Seaham had a great chance to take the lead when a cross from Suddick was glanced goalward by Johnson, keeper Wells pushed the effort away and Hailes followed with a great strike that Wells managed to block.


The home side were awarded a free kick when Bott fouled Marshall in the 37th minute, the winger took the kick and found Denton at the far post, the defender forced the ball home after appearing to foul Bott to give the hosts a 1-0 lead. Bott’s reaction to the incident saw Mr Brayshaw show a red card to the Seaham defender for foul language. A reshuffled Red Star side saw the next few minutes out till the interval.


Half Time 1-0


The Star replaced Blackburn with Richardson and started the second period in the ascendancy. Seaham’ pressure paid off in the 55th minute when  Richardson was pulled back in the area and the assistant referee flagged for a penalty kick. After a long discussion Mr Brayshaw agreed with his assistant and awarded Seaham a spot kick which Johnson tucked into the corner of the net to bring the scores level. The ten men of the Star were working hard and home keeper Wells was again forced into action touching an effort from Suddick round the post.


Seaham’s Jennison reacted quickly to clear the danger when an effort from Joe Thornton hit the post. The home side had two penalty appeals turned down in the final ten minutes as they threw everything at the Seaham defence. The final attack of the game saw a corner from Thornton well held by Jennison.


Full Time 1-1


Seaham’s Joe Hailes hit the winning penalty in the 6 – 5 shootout after Jennison had saved 3 kicks.  




Seaham Red Star: Jennison, Hailes J, Weldon, Lawrence, Bott, Hawkinns, McRoberts, Gardiner (Waite), Johnson, Blackburn (Richardson), Suddick.

Unused subs: Tumilty, Lawson, Morland


Back to Fixtures