First Team



North Shields

Sat 12 Sep 2020 | Ebac Northern League Div 1 | Home


Seaham Town Park




Derek Burrows



Former Red Star favourite, Dan Wilson returned to haunt us with a well taken hattrick as the Star went down 3-1.

The former Seaham striker gave Shields the lead just before the break, after converting from close range.

He then doubled the advantage midway through the second period, before adding a spectacular third with ten minutes to spare.

And despite a late Luke Sullivan penalty, the Robins comfortably held on for their first win of the season.

The Star started the game well and knocked the ball about in front of the visitor’s defence, Andy Johnson had the games first effort which Keeper Greg Purvis held onto. However, the home dominance never lasted and it was North Shields who looked more threatening going forward.

Twelve minutes into the game and another former Red Star player, David Robinson looked to strike, but his powerfully struck shot stung the palms of Seaham keeper Andy Jennison.

It was all Shields by this point in the game and in the 19th minute, a great cross from Cam Cunningham was almost directed in by David Robinson at the far post, but his header was sent just wide of the upright.

The Star were forced into an early substitution with David Henderson replaced by Paul Gardiner and Seaham were struggling to deal with wave after wave of Shields attack, with Cassidy’s shot, after a charging run, bobbling wide after 26 minutes.

But this didn’t mean that they were out of the game and two minutes later, Greg Purvis was on hand to smartly collect a dangerous freekick from Mark Waite, following a late challenge from the Robins right back on Danny Sayers.

The Star were struggling to get a foothold in the game and after they were forced into another substitution, with Tom Lawson replacing Jason Blackburn, only Jennison stood in the way of an opening goal, reacting well to smother a Callum Smith deflection.

Right on the stroke of half time, Shields finally got what they deserved, when Wilson was on hand to convert from close range, after the home defence failed to clear a low cross into the box.

The second half started much the way the first ended, with the visitors on top. After 48 minutes, Smith’s weaved his way through the home defence before seeing his shot stopped by Jennison.

After a brief stoppage in play, David Robinson once again was causing his former teammates all sorts of grief, skipping past multiple challenges in the 58th minute, before scuffing his shot wide of goal.

A rare Seaham attack saw an effort from Gardiner go narrowly wide, and minutes later a long range drive from Thomas Bott was blocked by Foster.

With 20 minutes left to play, Shields finally had their second of the day, when a well-worked passing move fed Wilson on the edge of the box. After losing his man, Wilson turned on the spot before curling the ball into the far corner.

Two minutes after that, Seaham Red Star keeper Jennison needed to be on point to deny a thunderous Wilson effort, tipping the ball around the post for a corner.

But Wilson was not to be denied a hattrick when in the 79th minute, he scored his best goal of the day, thumping a unstoppable shot into the top corner of the net, well beyond the fingers of the keeper.

The Star got slight reward for not giving up and in the 82nd minute, Seaham were awarded a penalty after Cassidy handled the ball. Former Hebburn Town striker Sullivan stepped up to send Purvis the wrong way.

Seaham Red Star: Jennison, Hailes, Sayer (Tumilty), Waite, Bott, Hawkins, Weldon, Henderson (Gardiner), Johnson, Sullivan, Blackburn (Lawson).

Unused subs: Lawrence, Richardson




Back to Fixtures