First Team



Newton Aycliffe

Sat 3 Oct 2020 | Ebac Northern League Div 1 | Home


Seaham Town Park




Zac Kettle



Newton Aycliffe left with the three points, thanks to goals from Liam Jarvie, Connor Phelan and a penalty converted by Adam Burnicle.


Seaham gave a debut to new signing Lewis Suddick, replacing the injured Nathan Greenwood in what was the only change from the side that lost at Shildon on Tuesday.


The visitors started the game well with Phelan and Jake Pettijean doing well in midfield creating early openings for the strikers but Seaham’s keeper Andy Jennison was comfortable dealing with the efforts. The Star had Paul Gardiner supporting Johnson in their rare breaks and the two combined well in the 15th minute as Johnson forced visiting keeper Pickford into his first save.


Seaham’s back line were caught square on a couple of occasions looking for offside decisions and paid the penalty in the 33rd minute when Ben Dibb-Fuller’s ball through the middle of the park allowed both Jarvie and Burnicle to run clear and it was Jarvie who took control, rounded keeper Jennison and put the ball into the empty net.


The Star reacted well and a McRoberts put a cross onto the head of Johnson, but the effort was well saved, minutes later Pickford went full length to turn a well placed shot from Gardiner round the post. The Star had a strong shout for a penalty when Suddick and Costello came together in the area, however, referee Mr Kettle was unmoved and awarded Seaham a corner kick.


Half Time 0-1


Within 3 minutes of the restart the visitors doubled their lead with a well worked goal. Some good ball retention saw a number of passes before Jarvie fed the ball into the path of Phelan who burst into the area and fired past Jennison. The goal again saw a good reaction from Seaham, with McRoberts and Hailes combining well down the right wing. Numerous crosses were put into the Ayclife box but it was defenders Brown and Costello that were in command and very few openings were created by the Star.


On 70 minutes the game was wrapped up by the visitors when Burnicle converted a penalty. The penalty decision was strongly contested by the Red Star players but after a quick consultation between referee and assistant the decision stood.


The third goal killed off any chance of a comeback from Seaham and the visitors could have easily added to their tally in the final minutes.  


Full Time 0-3  



Seaham Red Star: Jennison, Hailes J, Weldon, Henderson (Hawkins), Bott, Tumilty (Morland), McRoberts, Gardiner, Johnson, Richardson (Lawson), Suddick.

Unused subs: Dow






Back to Fixtures