Newcastle Benfield



First Team

Tue 1 Sep 2020 | F.A Cup | Away


Chris Ellis



There was nothing to divide the two teams, Newcastle Benfield and Seaham Red Star when they met in their FA Cup tie and the hosts went though after winning a penalty shoot out by 4 goals to 3.

The Star had a number of new faces in their starting line-up, Andy Jennison in goal, Tommy Bott, Danny Sayer and Dan Hawkins in defence, Nathan Lawrence in midfield and three new strikers in Luke Sullivan, Jason Blackburn and Andy Johnson. It was Johnson that had the Stars first chance on 10 minutes, when his close range shot was blocked by home keeper Alfie Gordon. 2 minutes later Sullivan got the better of Joe Robson and squared the ball back along the goal-line but none of his strike partners managed to get a touch on the ball.

At the other end of the pitch some great blocking from Bott and Hawkins kept the home forwards at bay and when Paul Brayson did get in on goal on 22 minutes Jennison did well to smother his shot. The Star almost took the lead when a cut back from Lawrence was turned onto the post be centre back Matty Parker. The referee blew for half time with the score at 0-0

The second half started with a bang when Aiden Haley was allowed to head home unchallenged from Braysons corner kick on 47 minutes, two minutes later the Star were back on level terms when Blackburn found space in the box and collected a through ball from Hailes before turning and firing past the helpless Gordon. The action continued with the home side going close on two occasions when Brayson and Slaughter got beyond the red Star defenders but on both occasions Jennison was good enough to keep them out. Hailes went close for the Star with a terrific drive from 25 yards that went narrowly over the bar. Slaughter then had a long range effort for Benfiled that glanced off the bar before going over the top.

Benfield were reduced to 10 men in the 73rd minute when Parker was late with his challenge and left Seaham’s Sayer in a lot of pain right in front of the visitors dug out. The extra man saw the Star have a period of dominance and were unlucky not to pinch the winner with efforts from Johnson and Sullivan blocked in front of goal. Full back Kane Evans manged to turn a effort from Blackburn round the post just before the final whistle. With the game ending 1-1 a penalty shoot out ensued and the hosts won through 4-3 and travel to Frickley in the next round of the competition.


Seaham Red Star: Jennison, Hailes, Sayer, Waite (Gardiner), Bott, Hawkins, Lawrence, Henderson, Johnson, Sullivan, Blackburn

Unused subs: Morland, Weldon, Dow, Richardson


Back to Fixtures