First Team




Sun 11 Aug 2019 | F.A Cup | Home


Ferguson Motor Repairs Stadium




Garry Tindall




The Star made progress in the FA Cup on Saturday thanks to a 4-2 win against Penrith. A hattrick from striker Dan Wilson and a super goal from the half way line from Dave Robinson sealed the win despite a courageous come back attempt from the Cumbrians.


Seaham won the toss and defended against a strong wind, however, it proved that their best football was in the opening half an hour into the face of the wind.


Lewis Casson, in the visitors goal was kept busy and his first piece of action was to turn a long range effort from Richie Coulson round the post. Sean McRoberts was causing young full back Lamin Cham a few problems and twice he went past him but Casson collected the crosses. In the 19th minute Seaham’s pressure paid off when a corner from McRoberts was headed home at the far post was headed home by Wilson.


The Cumbrians slowly got a foothold in the centre of the park when a few strong tackles went unpunished by Mr Tindall. Striker Martyn Coleman went clos on 25 minutes but Seaham’s keeper Chris Bannon pushed his shot away. The Star began building more pressure on the visitors and it produced a second goal. McRoberts an Henderson combined to get the speedy winger into the box and he was dragged to the floor by Cham. Wilson had no problem putting the spot kick away.


The second half began with Seaham backed by the wind and still controlling the game. McRoberts fired a powerful shot inches over the bar. The Star looked like taking the game away from the Cumbrians in the 65th minute when Wilson was on hand to turn a cross from McRoberts past Casson.


With nothing to lose the visitors threw men forward including centre back and captain Grant Davison. The change saw Penrith star to dominate as Seaham tired and the plan worked with a goal in the 80th minute coming from Davison as his shot from the edge pf the box ricochet off Gilesphey leaving Bannon stranded. More pressure was piled on the Star and again the defence was breached. The 85th minute saw a powerful shot from Bobby Atkinson fly into the net from the underside of the bar.


It could have been a lot worse for the Star had Bannon not produced a great save to deny Coleman from 8 yards in the 90th minute. However, the crowds nerves were calmed 2 minutes into added time when Scott Young passed out of defence to Robinson on the half line. The Seaham skipper quickly assessed the situation an perfectly lobbed the advanced keeper from 50 yards to seal the Star victory.


Seaham Red Star : Bannon, Young, Weldon, Henderson, Gillesphey, Wade, McRoberts, Winthrop (Dart), Wilson, Robinson, Coulson


Subs not used Dow, Richardson, Turns,



Back to Fixtures