First Team




Tue 13 Aug 2019 | Ebac Northern League Div 1 | Home


Ferguson Motor Repairs Stadium






The Star made one change to the team that defeated Penrith at the weekend, Morgan Dart was given his starting debut, following two substitute outings at the expenses of Josh Winthrop.




Seaham started well and efforts from Dan Wilson and Richie Coulson were well held by visiting keeper Dan Staples. At the other end Liam Gillesphey did well to get a block in to prevent a drive from Kyle Downey testing Chris Bannon.




Sean McRoberts was regularly picking out Coulson with well placed passes and from one of these in the 12th minute Coulson went passed Stephen Gibson but his shot went just wide of the target. The breakthrough didn’t take long to come, Mattie Wade pressed well in midfield and won the ball lifting it towards the twin centre backs who both went for it and collided leaving the ball free, Dart picked it up and went on to lob the advancing Staples to give the Star a 20th minute lead.




The visitors had a good 5 to 10 minute spell with Dan Taggart starting to create chances for his teammates, strikes from Downey, Price and Anderson were charged down and Bannon dealt with anything that got through the back line.




Seaham increased their lead in the 33rd minute Dan Wilson ran at Coppen just inside the box and created space for himself to lift the ball over Staples and into the far corner. The Star continued to dominate the first half and could well have gone into the interval with more than a tow goal lead.




After the interval, Ashington looked to get onto the front foot and get back into the game and good early chances fell to Taggart and Downey, but weak finishing let them down. The half continued in the same vein, but the back line of Gillesphey, Young and Weldon were strong and restricted good chances for the visitors. The Star were playing a lot on the break and the speed of Dart and McRoberts was causing plenty of problems for the Ashington defenders.




Bannon was forced into an excellent save at the feet of Taggart denying a certain goal after 80 minutes, The referee Mr Hart held the game up in the 82nd minute when a foul by Dart saw the Ashington defender retaliate by clearly throwing a punch at the youngster, following a discussion with his assistant the outcome was two yellow cards. A decision that never went down well the home supporters around the incident.




The last five minutes of the game saw Ashington continue to press but without causing any serious problems on the Red Star goal.




SEAHAM RED STAR: Bannon, Young, Weldon, Henderson, Gillesphey, Wade (Winthrop), McRoberts, Dart, Wilson (Richardson), Coulson.




Subs not used: Lawson, Myers, Hailes



Back to Fixtures